Monday 8 September 2014

Anthony Wilson's Lifesaving Poems are to become a book

I've previously mentioned my admiration for Anthony Wilson's Lifesaving Poems - a series of blog posts in which he selects and discusses poems that have deeply affected him during his struggle with life-threatening illness - and so I was delighted to read the news that Bloodaxe are to publish them in book form.

Far too many thematic anthologies lack a personal thread running through them, a narrative that drives them forward. Lifesaving Poems will provide these qualities in spades. What's more, Wilson's deft touch in his commentaries won't just illuminate verse for non-poetry-reading people who have bought the book on a wave of emotion. It will also capture long-term readers for the genre.  I look forward to getting hold of a copy myself.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic news. I'm new to Antony Wilson's blog, but already an admirer of the way he mixes smart critical commentary with a personal touch. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree entirely. This anthology should stand out in the crowd.

    ReplyDelete