Tuesday 19 January 2016

Hearing or listening?

While I was preparing my set for a reading next Thursday in Bradford on Avon (more details in the coming days), my attention was drawn to an interview on Rob Mclennan's blog with C.D. Wright. It dates from 2010, but was posted on Facebook in the light of her recent death. I very much recommend you read her poetry itself, which is unusual and intriguing, but for the moment here's a quote from that afore-mentioned interview about poetry readings and the difference between hearing and listening:

"Readings are social. They terrify me, but I do love the contact. I am not the best listener. When I attend a reading, it is not to listen, but to hear and to see someone render their words physical. When I want to listen to them, I sit down with their words in private. Listening is not social." 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Matthew

    For me poetry is mainly about privately reading it. I have attended a few public poetry events in the past but have no great desire to repeat the experience.

    Best wishes from Simon R. Gladdish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Larkin thought much the same, but I do get more out of reading verse on my own at home if I seen the poet read previously.

      Delete
  2. That is a great quote! Reminds me how much I miss Adrian Mitchell reading his own work – always nervous as heck; but communicated his words so wonderfully; with so much joy. He made my son fall in love with poetry – so definitely a Good Thing! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Stephen.

      Thanks for commenting! The quote connected with me as soon as I saw it in the interview transcript. Kids certainly benefit from attending a reading if the poet is good at putting over their work.

      Delete