Friday 4 November 2016

The missing poets

On encountering a list of Eric Gregory Award winners the other day (see here), my wonky thought processes didn't view it as a roll call of those who were summoned to poetic fame. Instead, I homed in on the missing poets, the names who vanished overnight or gradually disappeared. Have they given up on verse or has it given up on them? Or do they still write and hoard their poems only for themselves?

Their names are a reminder that poetry hasn't been enough for certain people, as if verse has in some way failed them. The missing poets scare me: I can't imagine life without writing poetry.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Matthew

    Perhaps some Eric Gregory Awards were simply given to the wrong people. Just a thought. One of my favourite New Generation poets of 1994 was Elizabeth Garret. I was really expecting her to go on to great things but haven't heard a word about her since.

    Best wishes from Simon R Gladdish

    ReplyDelete